- This event has passed.
An Introduction to Critical Appraisal: Systematic Reviews
12th July @ 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm
To register for this event, please visit EventBrite: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/an-introduction-to-critical-appraisal-systematic-reviews-tickets-147837482891
This session is for UKHSA staff.
Details of Information Skills Training available to Local Authority Public Health Teams are available on our Support for Local Authority Public Health Teams pages.
To provide attendees with an introduction to the importance of critical appraisal and the opportunity to take part in a facilitated critical appraisal of a systematic review.
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Explain why critical appraisal is important.
- Describe how critical appraisal fits in to the cycle of evidence-based practice.
- List the key elements of a systematic review.
- Recognise the presence (and absence) of these elements in a systematic review.
- Use critical appraisal to evaluate a systematic review.
- Have increased confidence in reading and interpreting research evidence, to use in decision making.
- Importance of critical appraisal
- Evidence-Based Practice Cycle and Hierarchy of Evidence
- Types of study design
- Key elements of a good systematic review
- Focused question
- Search strategy
- Quality assessment
- Appropriate statistical analyses
- Some (very basic) statistics
- Individual or small-group appraisal of a paper using a checklist
- Full-group discussion